AML Collection Manual And Procedures
Sample Collection Procedure
- Proper sample collection plays a critical role in clinical laboratory testing and a physician’s diagnosis of the illness. AML has briefly described the standard procedure that should be followed which collecting samples.
Blood, Plasma and Serum Sample Collection:
- Begin with identifying the patient
- Check the request form for tests requested, patient information and any special requirements
- Identify venipuncture site and perform venipuncture using aseptic precautions
- Collect sample in appropriate containers
- Label sample immediately using 2 identifiers
- Inform AML immediately for sample collection
- Some samples may require special storage requirements. Check test list or call the laboratory for more information.
Urine Sample Collection
- Check if the test requires 24 hour urine sample or a spot collection. For a 24 hour urine sample use the following procedure.
- Advise the patient to drink normal amounts of water during the collection period and avoid alcohol.
- The collected urine sample in the container should be stored in the refrigerator – not at room temperature.
- Ask the patient to discard the first urine sample in the morning and note the time.
- All urine passed following this should be collected until the next morning, same time.
- At the laboratory measure the total quantity of urine and note on the request form.
- Transfer 30 ml urine to aliquot supplied by AML and inform the laboratory immediately.
Faeces Sample Collection
For a 24 hour samples follow this procedure:
- Weigh the stool sample (deduct the weight of the container from the full sample collection weight)
- Note the weight on the request form
- Transfer about 10 g portion into a 30 ml stool sample container provided by AML
- For any information about sample collection and transport call our lab at Tel: +971 4 5143255 and speak to one of our staff.